Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Reads of 2012

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week: Top Ten Reads of 2012
For the sake of narrowing down this list, I am sticking to books actually published this year.

1) Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson-THIS is how you do a retelling folks! Take one thing from a well known story. In this instance Tiger Lily from Peter Pan and then flip it on it's head to look at the story of Peter Pan in a brand new way without tromping all over the original material. As a bonus it's beautifully told.

2) The Diviners Book 1 by Libba Bray-Bray never disapoints me and this book was no exception. It's got it all: Twenties flappers, sassy girl heroine who doesn't take crap, historical accuracy that doesn't hide the dark parts of the twenties, lovely writing, and variety of interesting characters, and even paranormal/ghost murder mystery. It even has a creepy museum! Literally it is every trope I love in one book.

3) Lynburn Legacy Book 1: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan-I haven't reviewed this yet on the blog because I'm still playing review catch up but spoiler alert: I loved the hell out of this book.

4) Anna Dressed in Blood Book 2: Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake-I actually just got into the Anna books this past year because I missed it last year. The second book was just as fabulous as the first one in my opinion. I love the ending though I'm sure there are those out there who will disagree with me.

5) Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan and Justine Larbelestier-This is the vampire parody I've been waiting for since vampires became popular in YA. It's utterly hilarious and manages to lovingly talk smack on the vampire genre without insulting those of us who manage to enjoy vampire books still.

6) The Lunar Chronicles Book 1: Cinder by Marissa Meyer-Another refreshing retelling and one of my top ten debuts of the year. I suspect this one will end up on lots of people's lists and for good reason. It's just good.

7) Delirium Book 2: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver-Proof that second books don't have to be boring layovers for the third book. Oliver manages to develop the world of Delirium as well as Lena while giving fascinating new characters and leaving us with a evil cliff hanger. Well played, Oliver. Well played.

8) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein-Maybe you haven't heard of this one, it wasn't marketed heavily which is a shame because this was another fabulous debut. I'll sum it up: female spy in WWII gets captured by Nazis. Yeah, you know you want to read that.

9) American Fairy Trilogy Book 1: Dust Girl by Sarah Zettel-This is another book that just heavily jived with me because of so many tropes I love. This one is a super creative historical fantasy that takes place in the thirties that has a girl discovering her long lost father is a faerie royal. Very Studio Ghiblish style storytelling with fabulous writing. I can't wait for book 2.

10) The Parasol Protectorate series Book 5: Timeless by Gail Carriger-This list wouldn't be complete without Alexia and the gang. So sorry this series is ending but I can't wait for Carriger's young adult series and the spin-off series.

Other favorites that didn't quite make the cut: Gallagher Girls book 5, Nevermore Trilogy Book 2, Dark Star by Bethany Frennette, Starters by Lissa Price, Endlessly by Kierstan White, Grave Mercy

Books that might have made the list but I haven't quite finished them yet: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead, The Serpant's Shadow by Rick Riordan, Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor, and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read Code Name Verity, it's on my TBR list! Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete