Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Dead Girls Detective Agency

TITLE: The Dead Girls Detective Agency
Book 1 in a new series?
AUTHOR: Suzy Cox
PUBLISHED: September 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, mystery
PREMISE: Charlotte wakes up to discover she's been murdered and in order to pass on she must solve her own murder.
MY REVIEW: This is one of those books that I wish I loved more then I did. I mean the idea is just so awesome: ghosts solving murders! That should be interesting, right? Well, apparently not. Instead of a savvy detective agency who solve mysteries like the title implies we're given Charlotte as a protagonist. This I think was the authors major mistake.
Because Charlotte? Is ANNOYING. She's whiny, judgemental, and frankly by the fifth chapter where she was obnoxious to everyone trying to help her I just wanted her GONE. I think the author would have been better served to have this actually be about the agency characters because they were the interesting part. The mystery part? Ridiculous. The main character? Hard to like.l All the stuff I wanted more info on was pushed aside in favor of Charlotte and frankly Charlotte's story was just not that great. The writing and the plot were pretty average but didn't make up for a annoying protagonist.
If the author plans on making this a series like I suspect then she needs for it be about the actual agency characters. Or she needs to come up with better mysteries and characters then this first novel because frankly this one doesn't make me want to read more.
WHO SHOULD READ: paranormal fans, mystery fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five whiny ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment