Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review: The Dark Unwinding

TITLE: The Dark Unwinding
AUTHOR: Sharon Cameron
PUBLISHED: September 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: historical fiction, steampunkish, gothic
PREMISE: Katherine is sent by her manipulative aunt to investigate rumors about whether or not her uncle is wasting the family fortune.
MY REVIEW: I have a weakness for gothic fiction. So it's to be expected that this appealed to me a lot. Okay yes, the plot isn't the most difficult or creative. The ending is a tad rushed and there could have been more depth to Katherine. But all in all this was a solid debut.
The atmosphere of the book is fabulous. The writing is decent and even if the characters are slight archtypes they are fun archtypes that are enjoyable to read about. Even if I wished Katherine had more depth I still liked her and rooted for her. I say this book is steampunkish because I saw lots of steampunk influence but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a steampunk book as there aren't airships or things like that.
But whatever it is, this book is fun and entertaining. This author is definitely one to keep an eye out for.
WHO SHOULD READ: Steampunk fans, gothic book fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five nutty inventions

No comments:

Post a Comment