Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Book Review: Two Truths and a Lie

TITLE: Two Truths and a Lie
Book 3 in The Lying Game series
AUTHOR: Sara Shepard
PUBLISHED: February 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery, drama
PREMISE: Emma pokes further into her sister's life and discovers Thayer: the boy that Sutton was cheating on Garrett with.
MY REVIEW: I will not lie to you and say this series is wonderfully written, a must read, and so on. In truth, this series is average. But, it's ADDICTING. Say what you want about Shepards annoying  and sloppy name dropping habit (seriously author, Pandora hasn't been around that long, I doubt Emma and her elementary school friend were using it), her flat writing style, and amatuerish need to describe what everyone's wearing. I'll even give on the plausibility of all of this in the first place. But damn, Shepard knows how to spin a good mystery and keep you coming back for more. There's a reason PLL is as popular as it is. Though personally, I say this series is MUCH better then PLL.
This is mostly due to the one thing PLL is missing: characters I like and who are sympathetic. Sorry but Arya and company are not sympathetic to me. They continue to lie/cheat/do stupid things even while A is on the loose and after she killed their best friend so please tell me how I'm supposed to root for them when they continue to do the things that got them in that situation in the first place. Emma is likeable. I also find the dynamics between Sutton and the whole crew from her friends to her family just fascinating character wise (and again, makes much more sense then PLL). This, combined with the complex mystery is what makes this series worth continuing despite some of Shepards writing flaws.
This was another interesting installment with more twists and turns and insight into the complex drama that was Sutton Mercer's life (and damn did she have a lot of drama; I wasted my time as a teenager apparently). Can't wait to read the next one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read books 1 and 2, PLL fans, mystery fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five fashionista sleuths


No comments:

Post a Comment