Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book Review: Enshadowed

TITLE: Enshadowed
Book 2 in the Nevermore Trilogy
AUTHOR: Kelly Creagh
PUBLISHED: August 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Isobel does her best to find Varen who is currently trapped in the dream world.
MY REVIEW: The thing with Enshadowed is that it is very much a second book. Most of it deals with developement of the world and it also puts more focus on Isobel instead of Varen. Plus, Varen is almost nonexistant in this book so if you were into Nevermore strictly for the romance side of it, you'll likely be bored with this one because there's not much interaction with her and Varen.
However this book did make me fall for Isobel. In the first book I liked her, don't get me wrong. But most of that book dealt with Varen and how the two of them connected so I didn't get much of a handle on her character even though I did like what I got. This one makes me get her and honestly? At this point I love her more then Varen. Yeah, sorry, but there it is. Also kudos to Creagh for having great family interaction. Familys of YA heroines are woefully underused and are usually there just to be a hindrance to the heroine and her honey but Isobel's family I actually buy and are wonderfully developed and real. Even the father is shown to be a caring father despite not being a fan of Isobel and Varen's relationship. He's not villainized for worrying about his daughter or for not being a perfect father. Thank you author.
So really this one is maybe not as great as Nevermore but still is a solid follow up to keep me eagerly waiting for the conclusion of this fabulously creative trilogy.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read Nevermore, those that don't mind lack of romance
MY RATING: Four out of Five Edgar Allen Poe poems


No comments:

Post a Comment