Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review: Because it is My Blood

TITLE: Because it is My Blood
Book 2 in the Birthright series
AUTHOR: Gabrielle Zevin
PUBLISHED: September 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopianish, drama
PREMISE: Anya has just been released from her stint at the facility and is now facing life after prison where everyone has moved forward without her.
MY REVIEW: Sigh. I really want to love this series more then I do. I think the problem is I like the idea more then the execution. I appreciate the ideas Zevin has with this. I just wish she did more with it and I'm a little confused about what the point of this series is other then don't join the mafia and anyone who has watched the Godfather can tell you that one.
This is very much a second book and thus suffers from a lot of second book syndrome. It's mostly just trying to set up the plot for the conclusion and I get that. I just wish the author had done in a slightly more entertaining way because I felt like I yawned my way through this.
So this isn't bad....it's just not very brilliant either. Hopefully the third book will be worth the snails pace of this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Gabrielle Zevin fans, those that liked All These Things I've Done
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five chocolate bars

No comments:

Post a Comment