Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: The Diviners

TITLE: The Diviners
Book 1 in the Diviners series
AUTHOR: Libba Bray
PUBLISHED: September 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical fiction, urban fantasy, paranormal
PREMISE: Evie has been sentenced to New York after a small town scandal. As she becomes caught up in the glamour of New York, a dark presance is sweeping over the city and killing people.
MY REVIEW: As always with Bray I must remind you my reviews for her always come with strong positive bias because she is one of my favorite authors. But honestly even if she wasn't I'd probably be hard pressed to find anything bad about the book except for it does drag in places and that I'm sad I have to wait for the next installment. It helps strongly that this book basically had everything I love: accurate portrayal of the twenties (that doesn't ignore the dark parts of the era such as treatment of woman and deep racism and poverty), sassy heroine who has flaws as much as she is lovable, fabulously diverse cast of characters with great dynamics between all of them, dark paranormal stuff, murder mystery, great humor, and as always with Bray wonderfully vivid writing.
Granted this is very much a first book and the ending promises much bigger things in the next books and I can't wait. This was one of my highly anticipated releases this year and by golly did Bray deliver. Like I said, basically my only complaint is how long I have to wait till the next book.
WHO SHOULD READ: Libba Bray fans, Historical fantasy fans, anyone inclined
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five Ziegfield Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment