Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book Review: Carnival of Souls

TITLE: Carnival of Souls
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Melissa Marr
PUBLISHED: September 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy
PREMISE: Young Mallory finds herself drawn into a deadly world of daemons where competition is deadly and anyone can lose their soul.
MY REVIEW: It pains me to say it, but I wasn't as into this book as I usually am with Melissa Marr's books. I don't think it has anything to do with the book itself. At the time I was sorely distracted and I had also just gotten The Diviners and wanted to read that like NOW and that book distracted me from my library books so all my reading got distracted at that point.
To be sure, this is wonderfully written and has Marr's usual great storytelling and wonderfully complicated characters. But it was also confusing at times. Plus...I think it might have been better served to have less point of views. Switching character POVs are endlessly distracting to me especially if it's more then two characters because I'm busy trying to figure out who I'm dealing with now. But that's mostly a reader preferance.
I don't know though, something just kept me from getting into this one. I'm not sure if it's my fault or the book's fault. Because it's Marr, I'm tempted to say it was mine.
WHO SHOULD READ: Melissa Marr fans, fans of dark urban fantasy
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five carnival masks

No comments:

Post a Comment