Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review: Deadlocked

TITLE: Deadlocked
Book 12 in the Sookie Stackhouse series
AUTHOR: Charlaine Harris
PUBLISHED: May 2012
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy, southern, mystery, vampires, werewolves, faeries
PREMISE: Sookie deals with her distant husband, her faerie relatives, as well as the usual murder mystery in Bon Temps.
MY REVIEW: Long series like Sookie Stackhouse are hard for me to review because really not all books in long series are going to be action packed with reveals a minute. For me the key is to make sure all books build on the story slowly but surely and lead into a ending eventually. So I'm probably in the minority where I think Harris does well with Sookie in that aspect. I certainly prefer her thoughtful character developement over the sloppyness that True Blood has become that's for sure.
For me, this one was all about leading up to the ending of the series because guys? The next book is apparently the last one! No more Sookie! Can you believe it? So really, I think this was all about bringing about change in the Eric/Sookie relationship (not for the better, sorry Team Eric) and bringing the ending that I've always sort of thought was coming: Sookie is going to wind up either a-strong and independant on her own (possibly leaving Bon Temps?) or b-She and Sam are going to be the end game. Which, considering I adore book!Sam is perfectly fine by me (FYI, not nearly as fond of TrueBlood!Sam even if the guy who plays him is seriously hot).
So basically this is more Sookie. I haven't noticed a drop in quality or a gain in quality. Probably by now people have figured out if this series is for them so if you're still a Sookie fan, go for it and gear yourself up for the end. Which is near my friends. Very very near ;sad face;
WHO SHOULD READ: Sookie fans who've read books 1 through 12, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five half naked werewolves

No comments:

Post a Comment