Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: Days of Blood and Starlight

TITLE: Days of Blood and Starlight
Book 2 of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series
AUTHOR: Laini Taylor
PUBLISHED: November 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy (yes, I swear it's both), drama
PREMISE: Karou has remembered her past life and in attempts to atone for her past mistakes is helping her kind battle the angels.
MY REVIEW: Daughter of Smoke and Bone was one of my top ten reads of 2011 and one of my favorite debuts so my expectations were very very high for this one. I'm pleased to say that Taylor delivers. Literally, I can't think of one flaw in this except for maybe if you're reading this purely for the romance part you're going to be disapointed because Karou and Atkiva don't spend much time together and the time they do spend, breaks your heart.
But I felt the strong parts of this was the storytelling part anyway and Taylor delivers on that. She not only develops characters, she develops plots, and she goes in completely unexpected directions. It's not often I'm surprised by YA nowadays but I was definitely surprised by this book and the way the story went. I will say there is one scene that may be dark for some people but it is neccessary for the whopper of a cliffhanger at the end.
Basically I have nothing bad to say about this. Taylor took the plot in a wonderful direction. The writing and the story are just as absorbing as the first one. Honestly my only complaint is how long I have to wait for book 3.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Daughter of Smoke and Bone
MY RATING: Five out of Five chimeras

No comments:

Post a Comment