Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Book Review: Black Heart

TITLE: Black Heart
Book 3 in The Curse Workers Trilogy
AUTHOR: Holly Black
PUBLISHED: April 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy
PREMISE: Cassel Sharpe has gotten himself in deep. The girl he loves is now in the mob and he himself has gotten himself tied to government agents.
MY REVIEW: Curse Workers has been one of those trilogies that I'm sorry has never become as popular as it should have been. Black seems to be one of those authors people either love or hate. I admit, her style probably isn't for everyone.
But her books (the curse workers at least) definitely appeal to me. I love how complicated she makes the plots in this and no character is totally one dimensional. This has often been described as Godfather mixed in with X-Men and yes, it pretty much is, but Black does it in a way that makes it work and in entertaining ways. This third one brought the ending of the series (or at least this trilogy, the way it ended had me smelling spin-off potential) and man, did Black deliver. I was completely satisfied with this and I don't often say that about endings of trilogies. Even if I like the ending, there's usually something that bugs me, but in this one? Nothing.
This a utterly satisfying end to a entertaining trilogy that I'm sorry to see go. As always, I look forward to whatever Black has in store in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: Holly Black fans, those that have read the first 2 books, Godfather fans, Soprano fans, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five gloves

No comments:

Post a Comment