Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: Altered

TITLE: Altered
Book 1 in the new Altered series
AUTHOR: Jennifer Rush
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Adventure/action, mystery, romance
PREMISE: Anna has lived with her father in the lab for years. When four boys are brought in, she befriends them over time until secrets are exposed as they try to escape.
MY REVIEW: Okay, I admit it: I wasn't expecting much from this one. The summary, combined with the cover just made me go eh but I heard such good things that I had to at least give it a shot. While the romance is rather weak the rest of the book? Loved, loved, loved.
This is a author who knows how to spin a tale. She gives just the right amounts of action, drama, and romance, and character to make you invested in the story. I will admit there are definite archtypes in the story but you know what? I still like the characters. Archtypes they may be, at least the author knows how to make them interesting archtypes that are likable and not totally boring. Rush's writing is also rather decent. She's got great natural dialogue and neat prose that suck you into the story.
Considering this was the author's first book I was rather impressed. I can't wait to read the rest of the series even if I'm pretty sure there's likely going to be a love triangle forming between Nick/Anna/Sam and I'm not looking forward to that drama (and I'm betting she'll double it by having the sister being alive and then there'll be Anna/Sam/Dani drama) but hey, maybe Rush will surprise me again with that. ;keeps fingers crossed; If you're looking for a action packed plot with a side of romance, I rec this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: adventure fans, Jason Bourne fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five science labs

No comments:

Post a Comment