Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review: Shadowlands

TITLE: Shadowlands
Book 1 in the Shadowlands series
AUTHOR: Kate Brian
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Drama, Paranormal, mystery
PREMISE: When Rory is attacked by her teacher and escapes, she and her whole family are sent into witness protection.
MY REVIEW: I have really mixed feelings about this book. There isn't anything horrible about it, so I don't feel right giving it a blasting review. There's a plot, the cliffhanger at the end was a honest surprise and might make me actually pick up the second book, and the dynamics between the family were interesting enough.
But the writing was...average. Surprising considering how many books this author has under her belt. The characters...not very noteworthy. Also honestly at times, I found Rory very annoying and I didn't care for how much the text tried to make Darcy out to be the bad guy when Rory is the one who went after Darcy's ex literally days after they had broken up. Plus there so many implausible things going on. I mean, really? They send girls and their entire families into witness protection for one school teacher killer? Really? Yeah, I don't think so.
If you're into drama with a bit of mystery on the side then maybe this will be more your thing. Personally I just felt ho hum about it. Again, the cliffhanger at the end MAY make me read the second book, but that all depends on how I'll feel whenever it comes out.
WHO SHOULD READ: Kate Brian fans, Drama fans, PLL/Lying Game fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment