Friday, February 22, 2013

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland

TITLE: Midnight in Austenland
Book 2 in the Austenland series
AUTHOR: Shannon Hale
PUBLISHED: January 2012
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Romance
PREMISE: Recent divorcee Charlotte is in a personal funk and decides to go to a retreat in Austenland...
MY REVIEW: So I don't know about anyone else but I was a little surprised when I heard there was going to be a sequel to Austenland. I felt Austenland, while cute, wasn't the best of Hale's work and honestly the story wrapped up neatly and really there was no need for a sequel. I have a feeling this one was mostly done because there was a contract for two books or something. Because okay, this was cute and nice just like the first one but it didn't really sell me on why exactly there needs to be a series of these books because really it was just a rehash of the first one, but with different characters and different focus on a different Austen book.
In short...it was okay. if you were a fan of the first, you'll probably like this one. But really...it just wasn't necessary. This honestly the first time I can say a Hale book lacked creativity which saddens me, because I normally really like Hale's stuff and she usually is creative. But again: this was just a rehash of book one. I would have rather had Hale do a different series altogether.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Austenland, Jane Austen fiction readers
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment