Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

TITLE: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Book 3 in the Millennium Trilogy
AUTHOR: Stieg Larsson
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Mystery, thriller/noir
PREMISE: Lisbeth lies in a coma as Blomkvist does his best to gather evidence to help prove her innocence.
MY REVIEW: Every so often the hype machine does get it right which is why I don't totally dismiss hype even if it often leads me to several duds that I would have otherwise never read. This trilogy is an example of how hype can help good books get recognition and I'm sorry but without the hype machine I'm sure this trilogy would have been overlooked in the sea of thrillers that is the adult mystery genre. Because while I love this trilogy, I will admit it's not exactly a ground breaker for the thriller genre.
But it has all those things that made me love the mystery genre in the first place: complex mysteries, complicated characters, social commentary on several subjects, and it actually has something to say. To top it off the character of Lisbeth is one of the best developed characters I've seen in this genre in a long while, male character and female character wise.
Despite a few moments here and there where I felt the book dragged on a bit more then was needed, this was all in all a satisfying conclusion to a involving mystery thriller trilogy. I really am sad Larsson is dead because I would have loved to see what other books he would have had in store for us. But he left behind a great legacy with the character of Lisbeth Salander.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Books 1 and 2, James Patterson fans, thriller fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five kick ass hackers
RATING FOR OVERALL TRILOGY: Four and a half out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment