Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review: Revolution 19

TITLE: Revolution 19
First in a series?
AUTHOR: Gregg Rosenblum
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, adventure
PREMISE: In a future where robots take over, three teens go off in search of their parents after robots take them away.
MY REVIEW: I've read some harsh reviews of this and while I do agree, this book has some problems (females don't do anything, sloppy world-building, cookie cutter characters), I don't think it's THAT bad.
I like the idea of it for one. As I stated in my Stacking the Shelves: I like premises where tech screws us over because I'm sorry, it's gonna happen. If ever we get a dystopian premise in the world, I guarantee that tech will be a major cause of it. The idea granted isn't very original. In fact, it reminds me a lot of iRobot. Take the idea of iRobot and make it so the Robots win, and well you have this idea. Some of the world building as I said is a bit sloppy and again, the females don't do anything (which is why I'm puzzled about why there's a female featured on the cover when really Nick is the main character). So it's not totally great. But I don't understand some of the particularly slamming reviews it's getting on goodreads. It's no worse then any other YA I've read which has gotten better reviews.
So it's not as bad as I've seen some saying. But it's not particularly fabulous either. I will say probably guys will enjoy this more, assuming the guy isn't the usual discerning nerd who judges everything they read. Or is that just the nerd guys I know?
WHO SHOULD READ: guys, iRobot fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five cyborgs

No comments:

Post a Comment