Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review: Crewel

TITLE: Crewel
Book 1 in the Crewel World series
AUTHOR: Gennifer Albin
PUBLISHED: October 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Sixteen year old Adelice is taken from her home to be a spinster: a person who creates the world around them.
MY REVIEW: So here's the thing, this book will not be for everyone. I think of it as I think of the show Lost: You will either get it and be sucked into its creativity and enjoy every moment of it. Or you will not get it and be utterly...well lost. So despite loving this I will rec caution and advise you to check it out of the library first to see if it's for you. Unless of course you just want to buy it for its pretty cover for which I totally don't blame you .
The number one reason I got into this book so much was its creativity. Finally, an author thinking outside the box. Yes, there are a few familiar elements here that are tropes in YA dystopian fiction but the author makes them work well which is more then I can say for some of these dystopians I've read. Then there's Albin's lovely lovely writing. I seriously can't gush enough about it. It's great without being overdone. True there is the usual annoying love triangle that seems to be a requirement nowadays but I can overlook it because for the most part this was a great debut.
A few confusing things aside (which I suspect will be cleared up in upcoming books) this was creative, with interesting characters, and great world building as well as really strong writing. I can't wait to read the next one. Also, did I mention that the cover is gorgeous? Seriously, internet pics don't do it justice.
WHO SHOULD READ: fantasy fans, court intrigue fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five looms

No comments:

Post a Comment