Saturday, February 23, 2013

Book Review: Level 2

TITLE: Level 2
Book 1 in the Memory Chronicles series
AUTHOR: Lenore Appelhans
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: eh...romance, and...not sure how to describe it really.
PREMISE: Felicia Ward is dead and has been in the hive ever since. Then everything changes the day a boy from her past crashes through the walls of the hive...
MY REVIEW: First of all I have to say, the summary for this book? REALLY BAD. I was expecting something totally and completely different from the summary given and when I read it I was all "Um...wait what?". That's not to say I was disappointed, I liked the book very much. But I know a lot of readers hate being told a book is one thing and then when they read it, it turns out to be something totally different. I don't hate the practice but it can be a tad annoying, especially when I pick up a book for that idea alone (yes, I'm looking at you Alice in Zombieland and your completely misleading marketing/summary).
But that pet peeve aside, I really liked this book. It was one of the more creative ideas I've come across in a long while in YA. It's got action, it's got romance, and Felicia is interesting. Granted the teen drama was pretty much business as usual but at least the author doesn't sit there and make Felicia out to be this perfect being. The writing is also very strong, though I could have done without the jumping back and forth parts. Luckily for the author I've been watching Lost and Once Upon a Time a lot lately so I'm used to this style of storytelling, but it can be a annoying habit in books.
So this was a strong debut that I really liked and rec. Just don't expect it to be like the summary because the publishers do a really bad job of explaining what the plot actually is.
WHO SHOULD READ: Lost fans, Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five this isn't what I signed up for but it's still good plots

No comments:

Post a Comment