Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: Witch Eyes

TITLE: Witch Eyes
Book 1 in the Witch Eyes series
AUTHOR: Scott Tracey
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: GLBT, Urban fantasy, witches,
PREMISE: Braden gets sent to live in a small town for his own safety and soon gets caught up in a magical turf war...
MY REVIEW: First I will say I love that this is a glbt book with magical elements. Most books dealing with a main gay character are generally contemporary. And I get it, that setting lets them talk about the issues and so on. But I think there's also something to be said about having a gay character that's in a plot like this one where it really is, he just happens to be gay and a large part of the plot deals with the fantasy part as well as his ill fated love affair with his enemy's son.
I really liked this one. It's decently written and has great action. Yes, most of it followed most of the usual UF tropes and just threw in a little Romeo and Juliet in there but I liked this world Tracey created and you just want to root for Braden. I will warn, it is on the dark side. If you don't like dark characters/situations...probably not for you.
But if you don't mind dark stuff and like your glbt books with a little more fantasy then this one should do the trick for you. Just be warned: you may come down with "I need the next book NOW" syndrome.
WHO SHOULD READ: gay/lesbian book fans, UF fans, Wicked Lovely fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five families battling it out Romeo and Juliet style

No comments:

Post a Comment