Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review: Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters

TITLE: Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters
AUTHOR: Suzanne Weyn
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Retelling (of sorts), Historical fiction, horror, drama
PREMISE: Dr. Frankenstein's two daughters come home to his castle to reclaim their legacy.
MY REVIEW: This book is, like all of Weyn's work, inspired. It's a clever twist. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to read about Frankenstein's kids taking up his work? I know I did. However, also like all of Weyn's work...it feels incomplete.
The murder mystery was nice and all but it sort of feels like the idea was there...but never fully explored to its potential. Writing is okay. I can take or leave Weyn's writing style honestly. It tends to change with each book she does. The characters are okay. The pacing...a bit slow but it's short so that doesn't really matter. Everything was just...okay.
I don't know, I keep picking up Weyn's stuff because the blurb and the premises just sound so awesome like this one did, and then I always wind up feeling like the idea was never fully realized to it's full potential and I wind up being disappointed. Not sure if that's my own fault, or the writers...If nothing else, this makes for a interesting quick library read.
WHO SHOULD READ: Frankenstein fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five stumbling monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment