Monday, February 25, 2013

Book Review: The Dead and Buried

TITLE: The Dead and Buried
AUTHOR: Kim Harrington
PUBLISHED: 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal Mystery
PREMISE: Jade and her family have just moved into a great house and a great neighborhood. Then she learns from her brother that a ghost is in the house and it turns out to be the ghost of the girl who previously lived there...who was murdered.
MY REVIEW: I love a good ghost story and frankly there just aren't enough of them out there. Especially in YA. There are ghosts, but usually the ghosts are a subplot or even if the character is a ghost that's largely ignored in favor of a love story (yes, I am referring to Hereafter). So it's nice having a story that's just about a ghost and solving the ghost's murder. It's a simple straight forward plot and you know what? It still works.
It does help that it's written by Harrington who is starting to become my favorite paranormal writer. She knows how to weave a good plausible mystery in with interesting main characters and even manages to sometimes throw in commentary about social groups and popularity in there. Granted, I felt the romance between Jade and Donavon was a little weak but that wasn't the main plot and there was no soul mate talk so I'm not too upset about it (and I will take a million Donavons over say Patch any day of the week). It was a good mystery that did manage to surprise me with the way it went.
True, this won't win any writing awards. But if you're in the mood for a spooky paranormal mystery along the lines of Pretty Little Liars (but doesn't take as long to reveal the villain and with smarter teen sleuths) then I totally rec this. I think this is a standalone but considering the brother I kind of wonder if the author is setting this up as a series. If she is I'm totally for it. Even if I really want more Clarity books instead.
WHO SHOULD READ: Clarity fans, paranormal fans, Pretty Little Liars fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five prom queen ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment