Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review: The Fire Horse Girl

TITLE: The Fire Horse Girl
AUTHOR: Kay Honeymoon
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical fiction, drama
PREMISE: Jade Moon is a Fire Horse girl, a girl seen as unlucky in China. When a man comes offering a new life in America, Jade sees her chance to make a fresh start.
MY REVIEW: First I have to say, I don't understand why the publisher said this would appeal to Kristin Cashore fans. This has nothing in common with Graceling, other then the Chinese culture influence. If we're going to rec it to certain fans, I say Joy Luck Club fans are probably more accurate. Now, this was the first book of 2013 that I've read, as well as the first YA debut of the year that I've read (don't count Delusion because I didn't finish it). For a first book of the new publishing year...I was pleased.
I will say Honeymoon's writing style was kind of all over the place. Sometimes there was fabulous description where I could see that this author seriously did her research. Then there was occasional awkward feeling dialogue that didn't feel natural. But for a first book? Not half bad. Jade was a fun character who I liked and rooted for. Wasn't totally crazy that she wound up marrying the guy who was kind of a jerk to her throughout the novel (no, him apologizing and saying he was in love with her all along does NOT make it okay for me) but to each their own. I guess Graceling fans who were super upset about Katsa not being marriage obsessed will like that more then I did.
This was a decent debut. Doubt it will win many awards but for a historical fiction novel you can certainly do a lot worse. I rec this to all historical fiction fans.
WHO SHOULD READ: Joy Luck Club fans, historical fiction fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five fortunes

No comments:

Post a Comment