Sunday, June 18, 2017

Graphic Novel Review: Spider-man-Miles Morales Vol. 1 and 2

TITLE: Miles Morales
Spider-man-Miles Morales Vols. 1 and 2
AUTHOR: Brian Michael Bendis
Series Start: 2016
PUBLISHER: Marvel
COLLECTS: vol. 1 collects issues 1-5, vol. 2 collects issues 6-11
PREMISE: Miles Morales deals with his growing complicated life as Spider-man.
MY REVIEW: It's really funny, when it comes to Spider-man I've always been sort of a shrugger. But Miles? I love Miles. I discovered him sometime last year and it's taken me awhile to get caught up but it's been so worth it.
I will say, I have a bit of a issue sometimes with Bendis as a writer. Like some stuff he does, I love (he writes some of the best dialogue ever), but then there are scenes where...I just want to bang my head against the wall. Like that scene in one of the early issues that is clearly taking potshots at girls online who dare to care about things like representation. Writers, don't insult people that read your stuff, okay? We tend to notice you're making fun of us and sorry, it's not going to stop us from criticizing you. It might make us stop buying your books/comics though.
Second volume unfortunately got bogged down with Civil War II stuff. As I've been getting caught up on the Marvel comics from last year, I've been getting bits of info here and there about Civil War II and I have to say...it looks like it was just as much of a mess as Civil War was. On the bright side though, we got to see Luke Cage and Jessica Jones meet Miles and that was the best.
So...this series is ultimately good, but has some issues as usually happens when Bendis is involved. It is still a great start to read if you're curious about Miles Morales.
WHO SHOULD READ: Spider-Man fans, Miles Morales fans
GOOD FOR NEWBIES: Er...sort of. If you have some idea of who Miles Morales is, you should be okay. Would probably help to read his older books first though.
MY RATING: Four out of Five web-slingers

No comments:

Post a Comment