Monday, June 26, 2017

Book Review: The Bear and the Nightingale

TITLE: The Bear and the Nightingale
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Katherine Arden
PUBLISHED: January 10th, 2017
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: In a small village, a girl calls upon all her gifts to help save everyone...
MY REVIEW: If you've been looking into new adult fantasy books likely, you've likely seen this book at the top of everyone's must-read list. There is a very good reason for that. It really is that damn good.
It's a very old-school type of fantasy that is sort of a combination of Uprooted and Neil Gaiman-like writing style. It's very slow-burn, so if you're looking for fast paced fantasy adventure, this is not your book. But I promise, if you stick with it, the pay-off will be worth it.
This debut really impressed me. I felt like I was reading a book from a seasoned author. If this is the author's debut, I can't wait to see what she has in store for us in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Uprooted, dark fantasy fans, Neil Gaiman fans, Others series fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five excellent debuts

SIDENOTE: There was no notable releases this past week because there honestly wasn't really much on my radar this week aside from two non-fiction books that I"m sure are books that probably not many people care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment