Friday, June 23, 2017

Book Review: Me Talk Pretty One Day

TITLE: Me Talk Pretty One Day
AUTHOR: David Sedaris
PUBLISHED: 2000
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: Essays
PREMISE: David Sedaris writes humorous pieces commenting on various subjects.
MY REVIEW: When I first started picking up essays, this was one of the books that was basically on every must-read essay collection list. It's also part of the Rory Gilmore challenge which I've been unofficially going through book by book these past few years (I've completed over 60 books now!). So possibly, my expectations for this were a little too high.
I don't think this book is bad. Sedaris is hilarious. There are many laugh out loud moments in this book. I could listen to Sedaris tell funny stories about his family all day. But after awhile...they just got repetitive. I also can't help but notice....he kind of went out of his way to avoid anything heavy. Like, the minute something like say homophobia came up, there was suddenly a quick change in the subject. Which...okay. Not everyone has to talk about the heavy stuff if they don't want too. But ultimately...it kind of made it so that for me...the collection didn't have much substance too it.
It was funny, don't get me wrong. If you want just funny essays this is a great one to read. If you want essays that actually make points on things though....I can recommend better things. So this was just an okay read for me. I see why Sedaris is popular...I've just read better.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that want light hearted essays
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five okay but not spectacular essays

No comments:

Post a Comment