Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book Review: Rebel Mechanics

TITLE: Rebel Magisters
Book 2 in the Rebel Mechanics series
AUTHOR: Shanna Swandson
PUBLISHED: July 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Steampunk/Alternate History
PREMISE: Verity tries to bridge the gap between the wealthy Magisters who are ready to rebel and the Rebel Mechanics already having a rebellion under way...
MY REVIEW: I will be forever sad that this series didn't take off more than it did among the YA crowd. It is a tad generic, true, but the world created here is great. Swandson really expanded that part in the second book.
Not only did she expand on the world, but she developed characters as well. This book took things in directions I wasn't expecting and that to me, is the mark of a great middle book of a trilogy. My favorite part, surprisingly is the way the author handled the love triangle. This is the most mature way I've seen a love triangle handled in a YA trilogy.
Is this a brilliant series? No. I've seen ideas like this done before. But, if you're like me and hooked on these steampunk books, this series is one of the better ones to come out of YA.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read Rebel Mechanics, steampunk fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five huzzahs, because this improved things from the first book

No comments:

Post a Comment