Monday, June 19, 2017

Book Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty

TITLE: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Book 1 in the Summer Trilogy
AUTHOR: Jenny Han
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary/Romance
PREMISE: A girl's friendship with two brothers changes one memorable summer...
MY REVIEW: So I'm still pretty new to Jenny Han. I only discovered her just last year. I'm not ready to say good-bye to Lara Jean just yet, so I thought I'd pick up her first trilogy first. I liked it...but not as much as I liked the Lara Jean series for some reason.
As always with Han, the writing is great. Like Lara Jean, there are interesting family dynamics going on. I just for some reason couldn't click with it. There were a few instances where I sighed (like when the fat-shaming jokes happened in the beginning), but those instances weren't enough to ruin the book or anything. It still had some great character stuff like the Lara Jean series has. Just for some reason this one...I just shrug at. I'll still be reading the next two books, because it's summer and this series is perfect summer reading.
I don't know, you guys. I still say it's good. Just for some reason that has to do with mostly me, I think, I just didn't get into this one as much as I got into Lara Jean.
WHO SHOULD READ: Jenny Han fans, Sarah Dessen fans, contemporary romance fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment