Thursday, June 29, 2017

Book Review: Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded

TITLE: Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded
AUTHOR: Sage Blackwood
PUBLISHED: March 21rst, 2017
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl in a school for magical maidens discovers a dangerous plot is afoot...
MY REVIEW: This was a random pick-up read for me. I saw it at the library, thought the plot sounded interesting and I checked it out. It is very middle-gradish. It has that old-school type of story-telling that comes with the category. But there was also some meta parody like things going on in this book that I didn't expect.
Ultimately those are the aspects of the book I enjoyed the most. It does its commentary on some of our ridiculous standards for girls very well. The humor appealed to me a lot and it lifted an otherwise rather average story of kids getting into hijinks. Chantel was also just a fun character.
So it was a bit of a mixed bag of a book. Average in plot, but still very fun. I might be checking out more from this author whenever I get in the mood for more middle-grade books.
WHO SHOULD READ: tweens, fans of middle-grade fiction, if you like metaish type of fantasy books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five fun tales

No comments:

Post a Comment