Thursday, June 1, 2017

Book Review: The Upside of Unrequited

TITLE: The Upside of Unrequited
AUTHOR: Becky Albertalli
PUBLISHED: April 11th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary, Romance
PREMISE: A girl's love life gets complicated when her sister starts to seriously date someone and push her to actually date as well.
MY REVIEW: I'm not going to lie: I had some pretty high expectations for this one. I adored Simon VS the Homo Sapiens Agenda last year. I tried to keep expectations in check, because sophomore slump happens to the best them. But, I'm pleased to say, it did not happen to Albertalli. In fact...I actually might like this one more then Simon.
I will admit, there is a bit of a nostalgia bias on my part. Because it turns out this takes place in the DC suburbs. Guess who grew up in the DC suburbs? In fact, that Giant Foods store in Silver Spring that Molly and her guy flirt at? I actually lived down a few blocks from that store. It's where my family got our groceries every week. So I was overcome with nostalgic memories while reading this like whoa (shout out to the Long Street Branch librarians who did not judge me one bit during that period where I read nothing but BSC/Sweet Valley High/or Nancy Drew books). It made reading this even more fun for me.
Honestly, even if there hadn't been that factor, I'd have probably loved this. All the characters are great. It's got that great middle ground between romantic, funny, and heart that Simon VS the Homo Sapiens had. It was frankly just delightful. Like, the only bad thing I can say about is, that being a contemporary romance, it's rather predictable in how things turn out. But honestly even in how things turn out it subverts tropes a bit (there's no slut-shaming! Even when guy is flirting with another girl, Molly never slut shames said girl. THANK YOU, AUTHOR). There's just so much to love about this book. I'm pretty confident that this one is going to be in my top ten of the year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Simon VS the Homo Sapiens Agenda fans, John Green fans, you're looking for cute romances with great positive representation in it.
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five books that just make you happy

No comments:

Post a Comment