Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Book Review: Vortex

TITLE: Vortex
Book 2 in the Tempest series
AUTHOR: Julie Cross
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Time-travel, science-fiction, romance
PREMISE: Jackson throws himself into his training in order to forget about Holly, but then something happens that draws him and Holly together again...
MY REVIEW: I admit, I wasn't that impressed with Tempest. I didn't get the appeal. I do still think this series is a victim of over-hype (and a bit of a Jumper rip-off) but I think the second book was much better done then the first one.
Cross's writing has improved for one. Her pacing is better, there's more plot this time around, and things are explained. Things still don't make sense to me (and Enemies of Time will forever be a horrible villain name) but I've made my peace with it and have let that go. The result was, I enjoyed this one much more then book 1. I am really happy when sequels turn out better the first books. I mean, I don't like being the naysayer of popular books. Honest.
So I think this one was a improvement over a okay start to a series and now I'm actually looking forward to book 3 where I hope more things are explained and the author keeps up the good work she did with this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Tempest, Jumper fans, fans of time-travel books
MY RATING: Four out of Five Tempest agents

No comments:

Post a Comment