Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: Iced

TITLE: Iced
Book 1 in the Dani O'Malley series (or book 7 in the Fever series depending on who you ask)
AUTHOR: Karen Marie Moning
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: Adult (though I say it has some YA crossover appeal for those that don't mind sex/darkness)
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Faeries
PREMISE: Dani investigates when people start showing up around Dublin iced, with a price on her head.
MY REVIEW: Oh Dani. Dani was my favorite character in the Fever series so I'm not going to lie and say I had pretty high expectations for this series when I heard there was going to be a Dani O'Malley spin-off. I'm pleased to say Moning delivered.
I was a bit surprised that the author didn't do a time skip and wait till Dani was at least eighteen but I suppose it makes sense in way. But it made the whole men lusting after Dani thing...kind of uncomfortable. So if you're one of those who's squeemish about huge age differences, this might not be your thing (though considering the whole Barrons/Mac age difference...). But other then that awkwardness this was everything I wanted from a book about Dani. We got to learn more about her and her background. Spending time in her head was SO much fun. I like Mac and everything, but her head wasn't nearly as much fun as Dani's. There's  a general progression of the story and we get to see the consequences of the last book and then there's that cliffhanger...evil, evil cliffhanger.
If you loved the Fever series, chances are you'll love this. Unless you hated Dani or something (there's always that one weird reader...) or if you can't get past the age thing which is perfectly understandable (I myself ignored those parts in the book, it helped greatly that Dani doesn't seem to return the attraction seriously). Aside from that part, I am looking forward to the next book which promises to have more Mac.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fever fans who've read books 1 through 6, Urban Fantasy fans, those that don't mind dark books
MY RATING: Four out of Five iced people

No comments:

Post a Comment