Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Review: City of a Thousand Dolls

TITLE: City of a Thousand Dolls
Book 1 in the Bhinian Empire series
AUTHOR: Miriam Forster
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Mystery
PREMISE: When girls start dropping dead in the City of a Thousand Dolls, a place where orphaned/abandoned girls are trained in specific arts, Nisha starts investigating and along the way finds out secrets from her own past...
MY REVIEW: Took me awhile to gather my thoughts for this book beyond "LOVE IT, and GIVE ME MORE!" so sorry about that. I will say there are is a bit of a formulaic ending to this and some things were convenient (like a certain someone not being dead after all). But overall? This is possibly my favorite debut of the year. Definitely a top ten debut at least.
It's a wonderfully creative fantasy world and there's a murder mystery on top it. What can I say, I love murder mysteries. It's a fabulous blending of two genres that don't often get mixed together and it feels fresh and new. Nisha was a good main character. A tad underdeveloped but that's usual stuff for a more action driven fantasy book that's a series. I'm hoping more character development comes for her later in the series.
This is one of the second series of the year that I've fallen hard for and I can't wait for the next book. Rec this one for all Tamora Pierce lovers.
WHO SHOULD READ: Tamora Pierce fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five fan dances

No comments:

Post a Comment