Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me

TITLE: Unravel Me
Book 2 in the Shatter Me series
AUTHOR: Tahereh Mafi
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopianish, Urban Fantasy, Romance
PREMISE: Juliette trains as danger closes in...
MY REVIEW: Against my better judgement I read this. I'm one of the few people that didn't really care for Shatter Me. It was too angsty and dull for my taste. Plus the crossing out of things became less clever as the book went on and more gimicky. But I have this deal I make with myself where if a book gets at least three and a half from me then I give the sequel a shot because every so often, the sequel makes things better such as the case with Across the Universe by Beth Revis.
Unfortunately...it's not the case with this series. At least not for me. Fans of Shatter Me will enjoy probably. Because this is basically more of Shatter Me but with more Warner. But me, I just found it tedious. There were all the usual drama tropes that abound in YA, of course there's a love triangle, of course Warner becomes not so evil and competition for Adam, and of course Juliette angsts/plays martyr like she did in the first one. I pretty much yawned my way through this; there weren't many surprises and it was pretty darn predictable if you read a lot of these YA dystopians like I happen to do. This makes me sad, because I wanted this series to get better. Mafi's writing style is so lovely.
Sadly, I don't think I'll be reading on. This one just isn't for me. But for fans of Shatter Me, the sequel will probably be enjoyable.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Shatter Me, Divergent fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five yawns

No comments:

Post a Comment