Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Review: The Essence

TITLE: The Essence
Book 2 in the Pledge series
AUTHOR: Kimberly Derting
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopianish/fantasy
PREMISE: Charlaina deals with being queen while fighting the presence of Sabara inside her as well as dangerous plots against her kingdom.
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest, I was a little surprised when I heard there was going to be a sequel to the Pledge. Not only was I under the impression that it was a one-off, I felt it ended in such a way that a sequel wasn't necessary so I was rather wary of this book. Plus, I just didn't think the Pledge was as good as  Derting's Body Finder series. But this one managed to surprise me.
Derting found a legit reason to continue the book and I personally think this one was actually an improvement over the first one. Now that we're more focused on plot and world building, I'm starting to get a better sense of this series and I liked what was introduced. Still not sold on the romance part of it, but what can you do?
This was a improvement on The Pledge for me, and now I'm looking forward to more books from this series of which I'm now pretty sure there will be. If you must continue a book that feels finished, this is an example of how you do so. Still don't like this series as much as I like Body Finder but I do like it better then I did so bravo, Derting.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of The Pledge, Kimberly Derting fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five evil queens

No comments:

Post a Comment