Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Review: Revel

TITLE: Revel
AUTHOR: Maurissa Guibord
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Romance
PREMISE: Delia goes to Trespass Island to find her grandmother and learns about terrible secrets that the island and its residents are holding.
MY REVIEW: Unlike City of a Thousand Dolls, which I knew by the end that I pretty much loved, this book I have rather mixed feelings about which is sad because I loved Guibord's first book Warped and expected to love this one just as much. Perhaps I had too high expectations? Probably.
Like Warped, I loved the hell out of the creative idea,the writing style/storytelling, and the overall plot of this. Guibord is great a world-building and coming up with ideas I haven't encountered in YA before which is not easy to do nowadays. My mixed feelings come from the messed up situation that occurs with the girls (I won't give it away but damn and this is coming from someone who reads Game of Thrones). Also the romance...okay but I didn't really go gaga for it. Plus Delia was sort of off and on as a character.
So...I didn't like this as much as I liked Warped. It's still a very decent book. You can definitely do a lot worse then this one. I just didn't get into this one as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure if it's my fault for having high expectations or the book for lacking in some way.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Warped, fans of dark books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five what the hell creatures

No comments:

Post a Comment