Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review: Everbound

TITLE: Everbound
Book 2 in the Everneath series
AUTHOR: Brodi Ashton
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal Romance, Mythology retelling
PREMISE: Nikki journeys through the Everneath to find Jack with the help of Cole.
MY REVIEW: I had mixed feelings about Everneath when it came out. I liked the idea and Ashton's writing is great and she spins a good tale, but at the same time I am really tired of Persephone retellings. Like REALLY tired of them. Plus, Nikki's life revolving around Jack kind of bothered me. I still have mixed feelings but I do think this was an improvement over the first one. It helped that Ashton threw in actual other Greek myths for a change (someone remembers the Orpheus myth! Which personally I find more romantic then Persephone but apparently I'm in the minority).
For one, this one focused more on the world of Everneath and that was what mostly piqued my interest in the first book. The creativity going on here is really this series' strength. Don't get me wrong, Jack/Nikki is sweet as hell (heh, pun) but really it's pretty much business as usual when it comes to YA romance (so is the love triangle, sorry guys, but it is). But the world of Everneath is really great and I honestly am looking forward to watching Nikki and Cole take the guys in charge down.
This is one of those books that appeal for a reason. The author deftly uses plot, romance, and a creative world to tell a story that sells well and hooks you. It may not be the most original of them all but it is definitely an entertaining one. I for one look forward to book 3 (possibly the final book? You never know with these things).
WHO SHOULD READ: Everneath fans, Greek mythology fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five three-headed dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment