Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Review: Slated

TITLE: Slated
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Teri Terry
PUBLISHED: January 2013 (previously released in the UK)
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, mystery
PREMISE: Kyla's memory has been erased and she has been given a second chance at a new life by the government.
MY REVIEW: I have really mixed feelings about this book. So if this review comes off as slightly bipolar I apologize. On one hand I think the author's writing is fabulous. She knows how to work dialogue, created interesting characters, and her prose are lovely even if subtlety needs to be worked on a little. For a first book, this actually was quite impressive. I also really loved the world-building going here.
On the other hand, this book was so slow. Remember how I complained about the pace of Matched and how that was boring after awhile? That was quick compared to this! While I have nothing against going at a slower pace (sometimes I do think you need to slow it down to develop things more) if by page two hundred, I'm still wondering why I'm supposed to be caring about all of this...that's kind of a problem. It made enjoying the book a little harder and honestly even the end result was sort of business as usual for YA dystopians so I felt kind of bored throughout it.
After the ending I have no doubt there's going to be a sequel. That's how YA works after all and I am interested in continuing. I just hope the author picks it up a notch in the next book because I think she can do a lot better then this. This one makes for a decent library read.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dystopian fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five slated teens

No comments:

Post a Comment