Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Partials

TITLE: Partials
Book 1 in the new Partials series
AUTHOR: Dan Wells
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, adventure
PREMISE: Kira tries to search for a cure for humanity who are now dying.
MY REVIEW: I have really mixed feelings about Partials. I definitely feel like it was a ambitious idea. I do like that it made you think, that Kira was proactive, the world was interesting, there was a fast paced plot, and the dialogue was really nice and I loved the banter going on between the friends.
However I while I liked the world presented here...I feel it was half-hazard sometime and I don't feel it's really possible. I feel like there were several plot holes, particularly how despite working around the clock no doctor before Kira thought to look into the blood issue but she comes along and suddenly, oh hey solution! Kira herself...I didn't connect with her much. She's an okay character, not overly annoying, but she's...flat. Plus I sometimes felt like the author was using the characters as mouth pieces for his own thoughts on what was going on and that got annoying too.
For a first book, this isn't bad. I'm just not overwhelmed by it. It is nice to get a dystopian that isn't all "OMG, love triangle guys!" though.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dystopian fans, fans that don't mind a lack of romance
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five needles

No comments:

Post a Comment