Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: The Demon's Surrender

TITLE: The Demon's Surrender
Book 3 in the Demon's Lexicon Trilogy
AUTHOR: Sarah Rees Brennan
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy
PREMISE: Mae and Sin vie for control over the Market while the Magicians plot a war...
MY REVIEW: It will forever puzzle me why this series isn't more popular then Mortal Instruments. It has the same sort of feel to it but this is SO MUCH better. I could go on and on about how much Mae, Sin, Alan, Nick, and Jamie all trump Clary and co. Mortal Instruments is fun, don't get me wrong but in terms of quality...it's not the best (especially lately). But this...oh I love Brennan's writing.
Now yes, there is a wee bit of predictibility to this and there are some common tropes. But i t's still better then most things out there. Characters are interesting and complicated and not horrendously one-dimensional. There's diversity in the characters (without making them walking stereotypes. Gosh do I love Jamie), there's creativity, there's a twist or two. All in all it's a satisfying ending to a fun trilogy.
So congrats Brennan you have a fan in me. I can't wait to read her next book, coming out in October or Team Human which she co-wrote with Justine Larbelestier which comes out in July (or June?)
WHO SHOULD READ: Mortal Instrument fans, Those that have read books 1 and 2.
MY RATING: Four out of Five crossbows

2 comments:

  1. What? These are like Mortal Instruments only better? I need to get these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think they're better than MI but that's just me. I'm sure there are people who may disagree.

    ReplyDelete