Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Croak

TITLE: Croak
Book 1 in the Croak series
AUTHOR: Gina Damico
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, mystery
PREMISE: Lex gets into trouble one too many times and her parents send her to Uncle Mort's who decides to train her in the art of soul collecting.
MY REVIEW: I really enjoyed this book. I had no expectations of it whatsoever and wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, sometimes Lex can be irratating. Yes, there is a vague resemblance to the show Dead Like Me (which if you haven't seen I totally rec, I believe Netflix has it on instant). I also will admit to a lot of eyebrow raising at the world building. But these flaws are overshadowed by the sheer enjoyability factor of this book.
I like quirky senses of humor in my books, and this writer does that in spades. There were many times this ebook (I used my Kindle) made me laugh. While I still have issues with the dodgy explanation for Lex's violence in the begining at least Lex grows somewhat. There's good pacing, the author doesn't waste our time with dull teen drama. Some is there yes, but it doesn't take over the whole book and is kept to a minimum in favor of the important mystery plot. Plus, even the teen drama is entertaining.
So my general thoughts are this is a fun book and I'm definitely looking forward to the second one. This is a nice one for those of you in the mood for something a little different. Many thanks to the publisher for eARC.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dead Like Me fans, paranormal fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five blades

No comments:

Post a Comment