Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Incarnate

TITLE: Incarnate
Book 1 in the Incarnate series
AUTHOR: Jodi Meadows
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, romance
PREMISE: A girl gets born with a world where people are always reincarnated but she is a new soul...
MY REVIEW: So Incarnate was one of those hyped up books and I do get why it was hyped. It has a really interesting concept and I do like the ideas going on here and there's plenty of creativity to be had. Also the writing is nice. Sometimes a bit metaphor-heavy, but nice.
This was just one of those things that didn't jive for me personally. I didn't hate it. But I didn't OMG love it either. Part of it is the main character was flat and boring and whiny. When the main character annoys me like this one does, I just find it hard to get into a book. While the love interest wasn't truly offensive or anything and certainly better then what I've seen, he also was rather flat and boring. Plus as creative as the world in question was, much of it didn't make sense to me. I mean you have this world that apparently has digital music but then you also have dragons? Also I feel the prejudice against the main character was extremely forced and kind of a weak plot point and mostly there to garner sympathy for the Mary Sue.
I'm giving this author leeway because this is her first book and there are more coming so I recognize that we probably don't have all the answers yet. Whether or not I'll be reading the next book is in question, it'll probably depend on how I feel next year about this book because thhe more I think about it the lesser my opinion of the book is.
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, romance fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five butterflies

1 comment:

  1. I had a really similar experience with this book. The writing was certainly lovely at times, but I wasn't as in love with it as I expected. And I thought there would be more dragons!

    ReplyDelete