Sunday, July 30, 2017

Reading Through the Classics: The Glass Menagerie

TITLE: The Glass Menagerie
AUTHOR: Tennessee Williams
PUBLISHED: 1945
CATEGORY: Play
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A family in St. Louis go through family issues
MY THOUGHTS: Believe it or not, I never read Tennesse Williams in high school. No, not even this play. Which is weird when you consider that my school was in the St. Louis area. But that was my teachers for you. They had weird ideas sometimes about what they thought we needed to read.
This is what I've started calling: a family driven play. Basically: it's about a family at some moment in time in their life. I've started to notice this is a common story element in plays: take a family at some pivotal moment in their life. Study how that moment effected the family and their dynamics. It's interesting and it works. This one was one of the more interesting ones to me because of Williams' use of memory in the play.
Like Raisin in the Sun, this is mostly a character study so there's very little action. But it is definitely memorable. I can see why people have revived it over and over again (including this past year).
WHO SHOULD READ: Tennessee Williams fans, those who like plays

No comments:

Post a Comment