Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Book Review: Under Rose-Tainted Skies

TITLE: Under Rose-Tainted Skies
AUTHOR: Louise Garnell
PUBLISHED: January 3rd, 2017 (in the US)
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: A girl stuck being inside falls for the boy next door.
MY REVIEW: I wanted to like this book more than I did, because I understand that books like this are needed. It's just...I've seen this scenario before. Two times in fact. First, with Everything Everything, and though I haven't read it yet, I understand Highly Illogical Behavior also kind of follows the same plot. Both of those were released within the past year. So...I'm sorry I can't really give this book much points for originality.
Characters/romance wise...it's okay. It's cute. It gets the job done. It does explain the mental health issues really well, so that I give it tons of points for. Plot...again, it's like Everything Everything, so I was able to easily predict what was going to happen. One thing that really annoyed me was the unnecessary side plot that mostly involved villianizing a pretty popular girl who dared to have a crush on the main characters love interest. Authors, I thought we had moved past this? I guess not.
So yeah...it was cute and all. I give it lots of points for the issues it talked about. But ultimately, I can't give it more then an average rating because it was predictable as hell and we've seen this plot before.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Everything Everything, Romance fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five deja vu feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment