Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Book Review: Allegedly

TITLE: Allegedly
AUTHOR: Tiffany D. Jackson
PUBLISHED: January, 24rth, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery/Contemporary
PREMISE: A girl who got convicted of killing a baby when she was little now tries to clear her name after learning that she is pregnant.
MY REVIEW: This is yet another book I had mixed feelings about. On one hand: it is riveting. Jackson is a talented author who knows how to keep people flipping the pages for more. Even as I kept thinking "I'm...not into this story that much", I still had to keep going. So it has that going for it. It's not the author's fault that I just can't seem to get into books with unreliable narrators.
I'm going to warn you now: you probably won't like anyone in this book. They are all fully realized deeply flawed characters. They make all the mistakes that come with that. I have some issues with stuff in the book. Also, definitely don't go into this hoping for a Orange is the New Black kind of situation where the characters are dark/in crappy situations, but support one another. Female friendship/support is basically non-existent in this book.
So yeah...I've got many issues with some of the ways this book was executed. But....it was pretty damn well written and it did its job as a suspenseful did she/or didn't she type of thriller. So it's good...but there are issues. I will say it's a very strong debut though. I'm keeping an eye on this author. Like I said, it's not her fault I just can't get into unreliable narrator stories. That's a me thing.
WHO SHOULD READ: Gone Girl fans, those that like books with unreliable narrators
MY RATING: Four out of Five solid debuts

No comments:

Post a Comment