Friday, February 24, 2017

Book Review: The Lady and Her Monsters

TITLE: The Lady and Her Monsters
AUTHOR: Roseanne Montillo
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
PUBLISHED: 2013
GENRE: Micro-History/history?/Biography
PREMISE: A look into what life in Mary Shelley's time was like as well as her life and things that influenced her and the writing of Frankenstein.
MY REVIEW: This was a pick of the month from The Mary Sue Books and More Club over on Goodreads (hi, to any Mary Sue members reading this). I was a little late to reading it (it was for January) because I wanted to get A Vindication of the Rights of Woman done first. I figured that'd be a good lead in book for it. I was right, it was. Because it let me know what happened to Wollenstonecraft after that book. Spoiler: it's really sad.
For the most part, this was very informative. There are things in here I had no idea about when it came to Mary Shelley. It also has made me super interested in the upcoming movie about her. Sometimes it wandered a bit too much for my taste (I didn't pick up this book to learn about random doctor who did this which probably inspired Shelley). But it is highly readable and very informative. Which at the end of the day is most of what I ask from my non-fiction.
WHO SHOULD READ: Mary Shelley fans, Frankenstein fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five lady authors who deserve more recognition

No comments:

Post a Comment