Thursday, February 23, 2017

Book Review: The Girl Who Drank the Moon

TITLE: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
AUTHOR: Kelly Barnhill
PUBLISHED: August 2016
CATEGORY: Childrens/Middle-Grade
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Every year a small town leaves a baby as an offering to the old witch in the forest. Every year, the witch takes the baby to the other side of the forest to find a better home. One time however...she keeps one baby to raise as her own...
MY REVIEW: I wanted to read this book pretty much as soon as I saw the cover. Look at that gorgeous cover. Luckily, this turned out to be one of the few times my cover lust did not get the better of me: this book was just as good on the inside as it was on the out.
It is very middle-grade, so it's told in that old-school story telling type of manner. The prose are the standout for me here. The writing in this book is gorgeous. I also just love the imagination behind it. It is just frankly, a charming book. If you're not won over by Xan or her snarky swamp monster friend, I really don't know what to say to you.
If you're a Neil Gaiman fan or love things like Studio Ghibli films, absolutely pick this up. Incidentally, I really want an animated movie of this. ;looks at Pixar or Studio Ghibli pleadingly;
WHO SHOULD READ: Neil Gaiman fans, fantasy fans, you like old school fairy-tale type books
MY RATING: Four out of Five snarky swamp monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment