Friday, January 23, 2015

Book Review: In the Afterlight

TITLE: In the Afterlight
Book 3 in the Darkest Minds Trilogy
AUTHOR: Alexandra Bracken
PUBLISHED: October 28th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian
PREMISE: Ruby and company take a final stand against the government.
MY REVIEW: Last books in trilogies are always tricky beasts. I don't envy authors whose job it is to finish any trilogy, especially one that becomes popular. Unfortunately with the way readers are, you're probably going to tick off some reader some where because you didn't do what they wanted you to do (and I can go on forever about how annoying I find that kind of entitled thinking but I'll save that rant for another day).
So Bracken had a pretty daunting task here. But I think she succeeded in ending this satisfactorily. Was I wild about everything going on here? Not exactly. Some of it was a tad predictable, especially if you read a lot of these dystopian things. But it still made for a good read. There were also a few things I didn't see coming, like a certain death.
Ultimately, I say job well done, even if this wasn't the most twisty ending ever. On a scale of dystopian endings from bad being Allegiant to good being Mockingjay, I say this is somewhere in the middle.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dystopian fans, fans of the first two books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five uprisings ending things pretty damn quickly

1 comment:

  1. I would concur that last books are tricky but she did better than other authors who seemed like that walked away from it. It was better and yes to a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete