Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book Review: The Iron Trial

TITLE: The Iron Trial
Book 1 in the Magisterium series
AUTHOR: Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
PUBLISHED: September 9th, 2014
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: In a world where everyone wants to go to magic school, Cass doesn't. But unfortunately, he has no choice.
MY REVIEW: I was just thinking to myself about how I needed to get into another magical boarding school type thing and lo and behold, one appears. I love fantasy set ups like this one: misfit goes to magic school and finds friendship. That's basically what this series is, as well as one that throws in diversity and snark.
Basically, I loved this. It's like the perfect mixture of angst and fun. The result is a massively entertaining book. True, it tended to info-dump a bit, but for the most part, this was a good set-up series debut that didn't treat its readers like they were dumb (something middle-grade can sometimes be guilty of). That cliff hanger at the end will especially leave you wanting the next book immediately.
This book was pretty much what I've come to expect from Black and Clare and they delivered. It was a fun ride and I can't wait for more.
WHO SHOULD READ: Holly Black fans, Cassandra Clare fans, Harry Potter fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five snarky misfits

No comments:

Post a Comment