Friday, January 9, 2015

Book Review: Neverhome

TITLE: Neverhome
AUTHOR: Laird Hunt
PUBLISHED: September 9th, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PREMISE: A woman goes off to fight in the civil war, disguising herself as a man.
MY REVIEW: I wanted to read this the moment I heard the premise. I LOVE books about women disguising themselves as men and doing badass things. I personally blame the Mulan movie for my love of this trope. That and the Alanna series by Tamora Pierce.
While I will say the writing here is beautiful, the story is kind of dull. Which is weird because the way he tells it makes it absorbing. But ultimately...it is a slow book, despite being less then two hundred and fifty pages and despite the awesome premise. The book really shines when it comes to historical details though. Everything was very vivid.
So, I'm kind of torn. On one hand, it was beautifully told and a great premise. On the other hand...it was slow. I just honestly don't know how I feel about this one I guess.
WHO SHOULD READ: Historical Fiction fans, civil war buffs
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five Union Soldiers

No comments:

Post a Comment