Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review: Garden Spells

TITLE: Garden Spells
Waverly Family series Book 1
AUTHOR: Sarah Addison Allen
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Magical Realism
PREMISE: Two sisters with a troubled relationship connect after one of them returns home.
MY REVIEW: This week's library find is a magical realism book. A rather popular one from what I understand. Thankfully this went slightly better then most magical realism books go for me, but I still wasn't really into it.
Like most magical realism, it has a slightly interesting set up. In this one, all the ladies in the Waverly family have a gift. A magical gift. Sometimes it's just knowing when you're going to need something. Or it's just being able to make remedies for things using herbs. Once again, no one seems to know why this gift exists. Once again, it's just accepted as one of those things, you know? Instead, I'm apparently supposed to find the romantic drama more interesting then the magic gifts. At least here, we get the more complicated family dynamics so if you're into complicated families, then this will be for you.
Otherwise, it's what I've come to expect from the magical realism genre. Which means I was rather bored throughout it. I think I'll give Isabel Allende a try because everyone recommends her, but after her, I'm done with this genre. It very clearly is not for me.
WHO SHOULD READ: Magical realism fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five set-ups that are not explored to their fullest potential

No comments:

Post a Comment